Direction : In this part of the test, you will hear some dialogues and questions will be spoken in English. The dialobues and questions will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
After you hear a dialogue and question about it, read the five possible answers and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you have heard.
Now listen to the sample question :
You will hear :
Man : well, I’am very glad to have you with me. By the way, my name’s James Bond. How do you do?
Woman : how do you do ? I’m Barbara.
You will also hear
Narrator: What do you learn from the dialogue?
You will read in your test book :
Sample answer :
A. The man has never met Barbara before.
B. The man never knows James Bond.
C. Barbara has met the man before.
D. Barbara met James Bond yesterday.
E. Barbara meets James Bond everyday.
The best answer to the question is “The man has never met Barbara befor.”
Therefore, you should choose answer (A)
1. A. At a supermarket
B. At a department store
C. At a drugstore
D. At a car repair shop
E. At a doctor’s office
2. A. The woman has fallen in love again
B. The woman has seen the movie Jatuh
C. The woman does not know about the
movie Jatuh Cinta Lagi.
D. The woman has been talking about
the movie Jatuh Cinta Lagi
E. The woman has fallen in love again.
3. A. She got up later than usual.
B. The bus was late.
C. She forgot her class.
D. Her clock was wrong.
E. She didn’t set the clock.
4. A. He will give her full marks for it.
B. He will make sure that the woman is
C. He doesn’t know what his partner
D. He wants her to do the experiment
He will check to see what is wrong.
5. A. No, because the table is not for sale.
B. Yes , because he has plenty of
C. Yes, if he borrows the money from
D. No, because he didn’t bring enough
E. Yes, because he has Rp.500.000,00-
6. A. She is absolutely sure that she knows
7. Susan Yahya.
B. She is doubtful whether or not she
knows Susan Yahya.
C. She has knows Susan Yahya for a long
D. She doesn’t know Susan Yahya at all.
E. She pretends not to know Susan
8. X : Get up, please. Roko
Y : In a minute, Mom. I’m still sleepy.
Y : Come on. Have a shower right now., or you’ll be late for school.
Where does the dialogue take place?
A. How the office C. In the class
B. At home D. In the library
9. Dony : ….. do you fishing?
Deni : Once a week.
A. How far C. How often
B. How long D. How many
10. Lidya : What a lovely purse !
Anne : Thank you. I….. it myself
Lidya : Did you ?
Anne : Yes, I did
A. Make C. am making
B. Made D. was making
11. Mr. Wilman : Mr Enoch, do you mind having dinner at my house this evening?
Mr. Enoch : That sounds good.
Mr. Wilman : Are you sure?
Mr. Enoch : ……
A. I’m positive
B. Fine, go ahead
C. I’m afraid I can’t
D. No. I can’t
Direction : In this part of the test, you will hear several questions or statements spoken in English. The questions will be spoken two times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakeras say. You have to choose the best s=response to each question of statement.
Now listen to a sample question :
You will hear :
Woman : Well, I’m very glad to have you with me. By the way, my name’s Lucy Liu. How do you do?
Man : …………………………..
You will also hear
12. A. The government’s policy
B.The high standard.
C. The education standard in Indonesia.
D. The controversy over the National
E. The high School students.
13. A. Astri supports the government’s
B.Wahyudi doesn’t object to the
C. There have been pro and contra opinions about the government’s plan.
15. A. The difference between spider and insect.
B.The description of spiders.
C. how spiders breed.
D. The living space of spiders
E. How spiders live
16. A. To amuse and entertain the readers
17. with problematic events.
B.to tell the readers what really
happened in the past.
C. to present the information about the
D. to explain how spiders catch the victims
E. To describe the spider
18. A. At a government abency.
B.On a personal phone.
C. At a recording studio.
D. On intercom.
E. At the radio station.
This is the end of the listening section
Read the following text to answer question No. 16-20!
The State Manager
GPO Box 4001
I am applying for the position of assistant storeman/woman advertised in the Courier of January 1994.
I have had wide experience in this kind of work over number of years. And I have completed training in computerized stock control. I believe that my clerical accuracy, knowledge and experience in stock control and handling system, public contact, and piping and plumbing material make me very suitable for the position. Copies of my resume and references are attached. I am available for an interview at your convenience.
19. What the position does the write want?
A. Sales Clerk
B. State Manager
C. Assistant Store man
D. Assistant State Manager
20. What might the State Manager do ?
A. Give an interfiew
B. Advertise the vacancy
C. Employ him as a truck driver
D. Copy his resume and references
E. Train the applicant
21. I am applying for the position of assistant storeman/woman advertised in the Courier of January 1994. “Position” means…
A. Interviewer D. Place
B. Letter E. Job
22. I am available for an interview at your convenience. The underlined word means….
A. Satisfied with D. Good at
B. Proud of E. ready to have
C. Afraid to have
23. Bill Davis is……..
A. A manager D. an employer
B. A student E. a Director
C. An applicant
Read the following text to answer question No. 21-25!
Before the telescope was invented, astronomy consisted largely of measuring and predicting the position of stars and planets observed by naked eyes.
In 1209 a revolution began when Galileo Galilei used a telescope to reveal mountain on the moon, Jupiter’s moon and countless stars in the Milky Way, Despite these amazing discoveries, however, for the next 250 years astronomy was predominantly devoted to measuring position and cataloguing.
Almost 150 years ago, the first identification of chemical element in the Sun was made using a spectrograph, whichseparates sunlight into its component colors.
This marked the start of our ability to deduce the composition of the stars. The science of astrophysics was born.
24. The purpose of the text is?
A. To entertain the readers
B. To tell about unusual event
C. To tell about the revolution in astronomy
D. To persuadethe readers to explore space
E. To inform the readers
25. What type of the text is it ?
A. Spoof D. anecdote
B. Recount E. description
26. what part of the text is the last paragraph?
A. orientation D. re-orientation
B. event 3 E. resolution
27. in 1609 a revolution began when Galileo Galilei used a telescope to reveal mountain on the moon, Jupiter’s moon and countless stars in the Milky Way.
The underlined word has the same meaning with…..
A. recover D. discover
B. control E. publish
28. Almost 150 years ago, the first identification of chemical element in the Sun was made using a spectroghraph, which separates sunlight into its component colors.
The underlined word has the same meaning with..
A. Take apart D. takes off
B. Puts together E. get off
C. Put on
Read the pollowing text to answer question No. 26-30!
The worst-hit flood area in the country this rainy season has been Central java, where 20 people had been killed and ten thousand evacuated.
The public works ministry estimated that it will need 14 billion rupiahs (US $6.7 million), to reconstruct the bridges in Kali Kuto and Kali Desa, Central Java and to repair a number of roads in the province. Another 10.36 of roads in the province. Another 10.36 billion rupiah is needed to repair irrigation facilities.
The minister of public work, Radinal mochtar, has instructed that repairs or damaged roads and bridges be completed before Idul Fitri holiday at the end of March.
Radinal said he ordered the state-owned construction company, PT Adi Karya, to begin the reconstruction immediately. He said he chose the firm because it is now working on project in the area and has experience in handlng similar kinds of repairs. The company rebuilt both the Kali comal Bridge, which has been damaged by floods three years ago, and the Kali Kuto Bridge, which has been destroyed by floods two years ago.
29. Whch of the following statement is TRUE according to the test?
a. Only 20 people died could be evacuated.
b. 20 people died because of the desease
c. 20 people died because of the flood in Central Java
d. Ten thousand of people died because of the flood
e. The flood took place in Jakarta
30. Which of the following statement is TRUE according to the text?
A. PT. Adi Karya rebuilt three bridges
B. Kali KUto bridge was built two years ago
C. Kali Comal bridge was rebuilt three years ago
D. PT. Adi Karya was chosen to rebuilt Kali Kuto and Kali Comal
E. Radinal Mochtar was the director of PT. Adi Karya
31. The minister of Public work, RadinalMochtar, has instructed that repairs of damaged roads and bridges be completed before Idul Fitri holiday at the end of March.
The underlined word has the same meaning with …
A. Concluded D. proceed
B. Planted E. distributed
32. Radinal said he ordered the state –owned construction company, PT Adi Karya, to begin the reconstruction immediately
The underlined word has the same meaning with…
A. Customarily D. very much
B. Suddenly E. very soon
C. Little by little
33. The company rebuilt booth the Kali Comal Bridge, which has been damaged by floods three years ago, and the Kali Kuto Bridge, shich has been destroyed by floods two years ago.
The underlined word refers to……
A. Proved D. damaged
B. Improved E. identified
Read the following text to answer question No. 31-38!
A man at the bank where I am a teller presented a check made out to his wife.
I told him I couldn’t cash the check with out his wife’s identification. He pleaded, saying that his wife was in the hospital. My supervison said that cashing the check was unequivocally against the bank policy. When I relayed the information the man acceptedthe decision and left.
Later that day he returned and handed in an instant photo of a woman in a hospital bed with a physician standing beside her. Next was a birth of certificate with foot print. Under that was a note from the obstetrician saying, “This is Mrs. Smith: and I am Doctor Jones, please cash the lady’s check”.
I was impressed with what the man did. Eventually, we cashed his check.
34. The purpose of the text is ?
A. To tell the reader about the past event
B. To share an unusual experience with the readers
C. To amuse the readers
D. To explain the readers about past event
E. To persuade the readers.
35. The type of the text is ?
A. Recount D. report
B. Narrative E. anecdote
36. Where is the story take place ?
A. In the hospital
B. In the writer’s house
C. at the bank
D. in the hall
E. In the man’s house
37. My supervisor said that cashing the check was unequivocally against the bank policy. “Cashing the check “ means ?
A. Opening the bank account
B. Drawing money
C. Saving money
D. Borrowing money
E. Lending money
38. Which is true according to the text?
A. The man was a teller
B. The man accepted the reason the teller told him
C. Agree to do some thing
D. Express a surprise
E. Ask for an apology
39. When did the man come back to the bank?
A. The next day
B. The same day
C. The day after that day
D. After two days
E. Never came back
40. What part of text is the last paragraph?
A. Reaction D. spoof
B. Crisis E. finally
41. I was impressed with what the man did. Eventually, we cashed his check. The underlined word has the same meaning with ? “Eventually” means…
A. Meanwhile D. however
B. In addition E. finally
The next problems have no relationship with the text avove .
42. Jim : I heard John failed the speech competition held at Language Center in Jakarta last week.
Tono : Oh really? It’s strange, he should have won it because he is good at English.
The underlined sentence is used to express…..
A. Disagreement D. capability
B. Possibility E. curiousity
43. X : There will be a party at my house tonight. Would you like to come?
Y : I’d love to, but I have an appointment with my colleague.
From the dialogue we know that the second speaker… the invitation.
A. Gives D. enjoys
B. Declines E. curiosity
44. Tony : Hi Andi, what about going to Agung’s birthday party tonight?
Andi : I am afraid I can’t. I am going somewhere with Dwi.
The underlined sentence is used to …
A. Decline an invitation
B. Ask for permission
C. Agree to do something
D. Express a surprise
E. Ask for an apology
45. Wati : Lots of women are incapable of working in Malaysia this year.
Warni : Why?
Wati : Because they are unskilled workers.
From the underlined expression we can conclude that lots of women… in Malaysia
A. Are not working
B. Will not work
C. Cannot work
D. Are not going to work
46. Student : …… to carry these books to your room, sir?
Teacher : No, thanks. I can do it myself.
A. Do you want
B. Shall I do
C. May I help you
D. Can you help
E. Do you mind
47. Boddy : … you will do your best in the competition this season.
Brenda : well, everybody expects that, and I feel certain about it anyway.
A. I believe D. I congratulate
B. I don’t care E. it’s nothing
C. It’s a pity
48. Rony : you look so weak, Dandy.
Dandy : Yes, I am tired.
Rony : I think you’d better take a rest.
From the dialogue we may conclude that Rony…. Dandy to take a rest.
A. Orders D. requires
B. Advises E. commands
49. Ridwan : Do you think our nation have the competence to keep up with the Americans in technology ?
Ade : I don’t think so because it needs a lot of money.
The underlined words mean….
A. Knowledge D. capability
B. Cleverness E. profession
50. Son : Dad, I got a straight “A” for mathematics.
Father : really? Oh, your mom and I are really proud of you.
The underlined phrase expresses…
A. Sympathy D. Pride
B. Irony E. obligation
51. Dony : Excuse me, is it all right if I sit beside you?
Rina : with pleasure.
From the dialogue above we know that Dony asks for?...
A. Apology D. Permission
B. Information E. pleasure
52. Beky : What’s wrong with you, Doni?
Doni : I sprained my ankle when I …football
A. Play D. is playing
B. Was playing E. was played
53. Nuki : Mom, I got 9 in Biology and 8 in mathematics yesterday.
Mother : Oh, I am glad to hear that .
From the dialogue we know that mother feels….
A. Dissatisfied D. pleaed
B. Terrible E. enjoyable